Thursday, December 6, 2012

As requested: Some more rhetorical strategies with examples I compiled from Hamlet



Literary and Rhetorical Strategies

FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE
written expression or language that is not meant to be taken literally.

SIMILE
a comparison of two distinctly different things using "like" or "as"

“swift as quicksilver it [the poison] courses through/The natural gates and alleys of the body/…it doth…/curd, like eager droppings into milk,/the thin and wholesome blood.”(1.5)

“Her clothes spread wide,/And mermaid-like awhile they bore her up, which time she chanted snatches of old lauds [songs] / As one incapable of her own distress/Or like a creature native and endued/Unto that element.”(4.7)

METAPHOR
a direct comparison of two things; when a word or expression, which in literal usage denotes one kind of thing or action is applied to a distinctly different kind of thing or action

“Leave her [Gertrude] to…/…those thorns that in her bosom lodge/To prick and sting her.” (1.5)

“Your bait of falsehood take this carp of truth” (2.1)

“The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune/…a sea of troubles…”(3.1)

“[The world is] an unweeded garden/That grows to seed.”(1.2)

METONYMY
a figure of speech used in rhetoric and literature in which a thing or concept is not called by its own name, but by the name of something closely associated with it

Here’s a sexist metonymy: “When these [tears] are
gone/The woman will be out.”

“I should have fatted all the region kites/With this slave’s offal.”

“The Everlasting”

“the quick”


SYNECHDOCHE
a type of metaphor; when a part of something is used to signify the whole or the whole is used to signify the part
"So the whole ear of Denmark/ Is by a forged process of my death /Rankly abused."



HYPERBOLE
The use of extreme exaggeration to make a point
“I loved Ophelia. Forty thousand brothers/Could not with all their quantity of love/Make up my sum.”(Hamlet, 5.1)

LITOTES
A form of understatement
“He will stay until you come.” (Hamlet, 4.3)

PERSONIFICATION
A type of metaphor that gives human qualities to animals, inanimate objects, or abstract concepts.

Guildenstern: Happy in that we are not overhappy. On Fortune’s cap, we are not the very button.
Hamlet: Nor the soles of her shoe?
Rosencrantz: Neither, my lord.
Hamlet: Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of her favors?
Guildenstern: Faith, her privates we.
Hamlet: In the secret parts of Fortune? O, most true! She is a strumpet.
            (3.2)

“...here joy most revels, grief doth most lament;/Grief joys, joy grieves on, on slender accident.”(Player King, 3.2)


APOSTROPHE
A rhetorical figure of speech that allows the speaker to address an absent person or inanimate entity

"frailty, thy name is woman" (Hamlet, 1.2)

CONCEIT
a figure of speech (an elaborate and extended metaphor) that draws an elaborate parallel between dissimilar things

“are you like the painting of a sorrow, a face without a heart?”
Claudius to Laertes, 4.7

G: Happy in that we are not overhappy./On Fortune’s cap, we are not the very button./H: Nor the soles of her shoe?/R: Neither, my lord./H: Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of her favors?/G: Faith, her privates we./H: In the secret parts of Fortune? O, most true! She is a strumpet (2.2)

...You would play upon me, you would seem to know my stops, you would pluck out the heart of my mystery, you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak. ‘Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me. (Hamlet, 3.2)



PARADOX
A statement which at first seems to be self-contradictory or absurd, but in the end actually makes sense

"more than kin and less than kind"

“I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space…”

“I must be cruel only to be kind....”(3.4)

OXYMORON
When two paradoxical contradictory terms are joined together

“mirth in funeral, dirge in marriage” (1.2)


PUN

 “I think it be thine indeed, for thou liest in ‘t./G: You lie out on’t, sir, and therefore ‘tis not yours. For my part, I do not lie in ‘t, yet it is mine./H: Thou dost lie in ‘t, to be in ‘t and say it is thine. ‘Tis for the dead, no for the quick; therefore thou liest.”

DOUBLE ENTENDRE

“Faith, her privates we.”

INNUENDO

“may I lie my head upon your lap”


ALLUSION

hyperion to a satyr

…than I to Hercules

Hecuba

Julius Caesar

Alexander the Great


ANALOGY

“A dream itself is but a shadow.”

”To die, to sleep—To sleep, perchance to dream”

“The harlot’s cheek beautied with plast’ring art/Is not more ugly to the thing that helps it/Than is my deed to my most painted word.”

***

Antithesis: The use of a word (or sentence) being placed against another to form a balanced contrast is known in rhetoric as ANTITHESIS. To be or not to be… (Claudius explains the death of his brother and his marriage to the widow, scene 2)
These are also a form of “balanced” sentence.

Periodic sentence: A periodic sentence is a stylistic device employed at the sentence level, described as one that is not complete grammatically or semantically before the final clause or phrase. A periodic sentence delays…
(Lucianus’ speech in “The Murder of Gonzago”)

No comments:

Post a Comment